The Restructuring UK Motorsport event, which was held at our headquarters in Stoneleigh, Warwickshire, on June 5, 2001 was attended by more than 90 delegates, all present to investigate how UK motorsport should be organised in the future. Delegates were given presentations from both the MIA and the MSA. MIA Chairman Chris Aylett chaired the MIA panel, which comprised of Alan Cornock, John Kirkpatrick and Alan Gow. MSA Chief Executive, Colin Hilton, was accompanied by the MSA Championship Control Panel, made up of Robert Fearnall (BMP), Dennis Carter (BARC), Grant Stuart (BRSCC) and Robin Knight (750MC).
As a result of the event, we have drafted a four-point position statement which calls for the introduction of a Pro Race Structure, i.e, the creation of three ladders of progression in national single seater, sports car and saloon car racing.
The promoters of each of these levels would have to sign contracts binding them to their series for a minimum of three years, complete with financial penalty bond for early withdrawal. This bond, similar to that for travel agents, airlines and house builders, would ensure financial responsibility that the healthy performance of a series is more evenly shared between the promoter and the teams, the industry and the competitors.
Initially the proposals have concentrated on the PRO level. However, it is intended that the same logic be rapidly applied to the CLUB arena, for which the over-riding priority would be to provide optimum enjoyment and increased value-for-money for the drivers. A forum on the Club Racing scene was later held at our headquarters in Stoneleigh on November 19, 2001.
The main aims of PRO Racing (sponsored and professionally-promoted series run on a commercial basis) are to:
- Provide good value to the spectator, promoter and teams
- Provide a clear and understandable path of progression for professional drivers and sponsors
- Create full grids for each category
- Create classes that are sanctioned by the MSA and run at properly funded and financially secure, high profile events
The main aims of CLUB Racing (series run by motorsport clubs for their members) are to:
- Optimise the enjoyment of the competitors and their immediate supporters
- Create full grids for each category – amalgamate if necessary
- Reduce the cost of participation and promotion
For more information please contact Jayne Thomas
on +44 (0)2476 692600 or email [email protected]